What Are Some Tummy Tuck Surgery Complications and Risks?
As with any surgical procedure, there are certain risks involved. In general, the risk of tummy tuck surgery complications is higher in people that are less healthy. In other words, the healthier you are, the less risk is involved. Surgeons do everything they can to minimize risk, but it is important for you to be aware of possible complications before consenting to abdominoplasty.
Common Tummy Tuck Risks are Still Pretty Uncommon
The most commonly occurring risk of tummy tuck surgery is that the result is not exactly how you expected. Tummy tuck surgery is not perfect and it is important to have realistic expectations. Infection, collections of blood (hematoma) or fluid (seroma) under the skin can occur during an abdominoplasty. Overall these occur in less than 5% of patients and can be treated. The surgical wound may separate, especially if the patient attempts to engage in vigorous activity too soon after surgery.
Serious Abdominoplasty Complications are Rarer
Occasionally people will lose their navel or the scar will need to be revised in some way. In African-American patients especially, the area around the surgical scar may develop ridges called keloids. The most serious complications that occur as a consequence of abdominoplasty are blood clotting problems. These include pulmonary embolus and deep vein thrombosis. Both of these events can be life-threatening but can be treated if detected in a timely manner. Fortunately these events are quite rare.
Consult with a Professional Tummy Tuck Surgeon
It is important to discuss all possible abdominoplasty risks and complications with your plastic surgeon during your consultation. Your surgeon will also provide you with a list of signs and symptoms to look for during recovery that would indicate a need for medical attention. Fortunately, abdominoplasty is a safe procedure, especially in healthy people.
- Is There A Lot of Pain Associated with Abdominoplasty?
- How are Tummy Tuck Surgeries Performed?
- What are the Different Techniques for Abdominoplasty?
- How Long Do the Results of Abdominoplasty Surgery Last?
- Is There A Lot of Swelling Involved After Tummy Tuck Surgery?
- When Will I Be Able to Return to Work After Abdominoplasty Surgery?
- What Should I Expect Recovering from Abdominoplasty Surgery?
- Will My Insurance Company Pay for a Tummy Tuck Surgery?
- When is Abdominoplasty Usually Performed?
- What to Expect from Tummy Tuck Surgery Consultation?