How are Tummy Tuck Surgeries Performed?
Your tummy tuck surgery will take place at a hospital or a surgical center. Almost all abdominoplasty procedures will be performed under general anesthesia but small tummy tucks may be performed under local anesthesia and intravenous sedation. Most abdominoplasty procedures are performed as â€œsame dayâ€ surgery or on an outpatient basis. You may be required to stay in the hospital overnight in some cases.
Before Tummy Tuck Surgery
You will be dressed in a special hospital gown and made as comfortable as possible. You surgeon will likely meet with you briefly before the procedure. You will have an IV (intravenous) line placed in your arm so that drugs can be administered. For general anesthesia, a tube will be placed in your throat so that the anesthesiologist can help you breath and administer anesthetic gases.
During the Tummy Tuck
Your abdomen will be sterilized and prepared. After a careful incision, the skin and fat will be pulled down to stretch and tighten the area. Excess skin and fat will be removed from this flap. Your belly button may need to be moved as well, depending on the amount of stretching. The stomach muscles are sutured tight and the area is carefully closed with sutures or surgical staples.
After the Abdominoplasty Procedure
You will awake from anesthesia and be kept for observation for a period of time. While you will awake completely from anesthesia before you are discharged, be aware that you will need to arrange transportation home.
Consult with a Professional
When you decide on a plastic surgeon, that professional will be able to explain the entire tummy tuck procedure in great detail, perhaps during the initial consultation. This is an excellent opportunity for you to have all of your abdominoplasty questions answered by an expert.
- Is There A Lot of Pain Associated with Abdominoplasty?
- What are the Different Techniques for Abdominoplasty?
- What Are Some Tummy Tuck Surgery Complications and Risks?
- How Long Do the Results of Abdominoplasty Surgery Last?
- Is There A Lot of Swelling Involved After Tummy Tuck Surgery?
- When Will I Be Able to Return to Work After Abdominoplasty Surgery?
- What Should I Expect Recovering from Abdominoplasty Surgery?
- Will My Insurance Company Pay for a Tummy Tuck Surgery?
- When is Abdominoplasty Usually Performed?
- What to Expect from Tummy Tuck Surgery Consultation?