What are the Different Techniques for Abdominoplasty?
Abdominoplasty can be performed in a number of different ways. The technique that is used in your case will depend on your specific needs and goals.
The Surgical Approach Depends on You
Plastic surgeons have adapted and modified abdominoplasty over the years to perfect the procedure and to deliver results that meet the needs of the patient. In a traditional tummy tuck, excess skin and fat are removed while the stomach muscles are tightened and the belly button (navel) is repositioned. In a mini-tummy tuck, the navel may remain in place and only a small amount of skin and fat is removed from the bottom of the tummy. In a reverse abdominoplasty, fat at the top of the abdomen is a particular problem. In this case, the skin is pulled up rather than down.
Since a tummy tuck is, after all, a cosmetic procedure, every attempt is made to minimize the surgical scar. The smallest incision will be used that still delivers a good cosmetic result. The size of the incision often depends on the amount of tissue that needs to be removed. When possible, the surgeon uses the natural creases in the lower abdomen as a guide for the main incision.
A Hybrid Technique
More and more, abdominoplasty is being combined with liposuction. This minimizes the stretching that is done to the skin and increases the amount of overall weight loss.
Consult with a Professional
When you contact a skilled, experienced plastic surgeon, you will be able to discuss the various abdominoplasty techniques that are available. After an evaluation, your surgeon will be able to suggest which approach is best for you and one that will best achieve your stated goals.
- Is There A Lot of Pain Associated with Abdominoplasty?
- How are Tummy Tuck Surgeries Performed?
- What Are Some Tummy Tuck Surgery Complications and Risks?
- How Long Do the Results of Abdominoplasty Surgery Last?
- Is There A Lot of Swelling Involved After Tummy Tuck Surgery?
- When Will I Be Able to Return to Work After Abdominoplasty Surgery?
- What Should I Expect Recovering from Abdominoplasty Surgery?
- Will My Insurance Company Pay for a Tummy Tuck Surgery?
- When is Abdominoplasty Usually Performed?
- What to Expect from Tummy Tuck Surgery Consultation?